An elderly woman from Kluang has passed away after eating pufferfish bought on social media, with her husband currently in intensive care.
According to Johor Health exco Ling Tian Soon, the couple purchased the fish from a seller on Facebook and suffered breathing difficulties soon after eating it.
The woman began experiencing symptoms around 3 pm, followed soon by her husband. Despite efforts to save her, the woman sadly died later that day. It is believed that the couple had cleaned and cooked the fish for lunch.
Four other customers reportedly bought pufferfish from the same seller but have yet to consume it. Samples of the fish have been obtained for analysis by the Health Department.
Pufferfish is known for containing tetrodotoxin, a powerful neurotoxin that can cause paralysis and death.
Eating pufferfish is only allowed with special licensing in some countries, including Japan.
Health officials have warned people to be cautious when purchasing any foods, especially those from social media platforms, and to report any suspicious behavior to the authorities.
Leave a Reply